1912 Our church history began in 1912 when a small Baptist church was started in the Allendale district of Edmonton. This work was an outreach work emanating from Strathcona Baptist church, being a dream of the famous Baptist church- planter Rev. Alexander ‘Pioneer’ McDonald to have Strathcona start two daughter congregations in the areas of Bonnie Doon and Allendale, east and south of Strathcona. Though he died in 1911 before those two new works could come to pass, his vision lived on and both churches were established the next year. During the First World War, the Allendale work ceased except for the Sunday School component. After the war ended in 1918, the work grew again and a church was established in the 1940’s.
1940’s Allendale Baptist Church was organized. The congregation continued to meet in the original building which had been moved to 63rd Avenue and 105 B Street. That building still stands and today is the home of the Highway Christian Centre.
1952 Allendale Baptist Church sold their building and relocated to a new building in the Parkallen district of Edmonton, at 11135-65th Avenue.
1953 There was already a Parkallen Baptist Church (today’s Lansdowne Baptist church) so, being missionary-minded, the members decided to name the church after a Canadian Baptist missionary who had spent many years in India, Rev. Dr. John Bates McLaurin (1884-1952). Over the years, McLaurin has commissioned many missionaries to serve in many countries, for both short-term and long- term missions, including from this period Jean Palmquist, missionary to India, and Rev. Hahn (who was also the first pastor of the reconstituted McLaurin Baptist Church) and his wife Helen, who also went to India. On January 4th of 1953, McLaurin Memorial Baptist church was inaugurated with twenty-five charter members, including Martha Christenson, mother of current member John. Shortly after, newlyweds John and Irene Christenson were baptized at this time, the first people baptized as members of Allendale Baptist Church.
1961 In the years 1961 and 1962, it was decided that the church should relocate to Malmo Plains. The old building was sold to the Salvation Army and the congregation moved into Lendrum School in 1963.
1963 In the summer of 1963, eight lots were purchased at 111th Street and 51st Avenue at a cost of $20,000. Three lots were later sold.
1964 On June 21st, the Sod Turning Ceremony for our present sanctuary was held.
1965 On January 17th, the Dedication Service of our present sanctuary was held and ministry on this street corner officially commenced. David Sutherland was the first person baptized in the new baptistery.
1972 In the Spring, a Sod Turning Ceremony was held for the construction of an additional 4,000 square feet of Christian Education facilities. Mrs. Brenda Harcus turned the first sod.
1973 April 15th, 1973 saw the Dedication Service of the additional facilities. Playing the organ was Mrs. Dorrie Armstrong.
1983 On May 1st there was a Mortgage Burning Ceremony, celebrating God’s faithfulness in leading the congregation thus far. Patricia Smith was commissioned as a missionary to first India, and then Kenya.
1990’s A trailer was purchased and erected on the back-side of the Fellowship Hall for Christian Education purposes and the three houses to the west of the church parking lot were purchased. The average attendance reached 300 people on Sundays, so the church went to two worship services. A valuable partnership with Young Life was established in the high schools. This decade marked many baptisms, including 16 people in 1997 alone.
2000’s Several short-term and long-term missionary endeavours happened, including two Youth Group mission trips, Daniel Radersma serving with Youth With a Mission, Rebecca Ipe with Servant Partners in the downtown Eastside of Vancouver as well as in Kolkata, India, and Rebecca and Jereme Doole ministering to the deaf community in Taiwan.
2009 A decision was reached to have two congregations share the building but, by December of that year, the new McLaurin congregation was identified, the group still meeting here, dedicated to serving God and our Lord Jesus Christ. Approximately 40 people started off in December of 2009 on the new mission of this congregation.The building was extensively renovated and a new commitment to outreach begun. The membership is now 100 and growing to the Glory of God.